Saturday, June 03, 2006

"He was a wonderful actor. I loved hating him." - Judd Nelson about Paul Gleason (1939-2006)

Paul Gleason, known to generations of young people as one of cinema's greatest screen villians for portraying the bitter and humorless Principal Richard Vernon in John Hughes 80's teen classic "The Breakfast Club" died May 27th of a rare form of lung cancer.

Gleason lived a fascinatingly full life, much of it centered around his twin talents of athletics and acting: he played college football alongside fellow future acting stars Robert Urich and Bert Reynolds at Florida State University (albeit well before the Bowden era, when FSU became a national power), played minor league baseball for the Cleveland Indians organization for a time, then began a successful and notable acting career in the '60s after studying under legendary teacher Lee Strasburg.

Movie fans today may remember Gleason mostly for his brilliant job of making the despicable Richard Vernon ("don't mess with the bull....") stand out, but prior to his appearing in "The Breakfast Club", he won roles in timeless films such as "The Great Santini", "Arthur", and "Tender Mercies", along with an extended soap opera run and numerous TV credits. To start his acting career, Gleason had to put his time in on the usual Roger Corman dreck (anyone remember the R-rated "Private Duty Nurses" aka "Young L.A. Nurses 3"?) that was the proving ground for so many of Hollywood's biggest names.


As is often the case in cult films, it appears that the fame Gleason gained through his signature role was a double edged sword: after 1985 and TBC's release, the only notable movies he appeared in were "Die Hard" and "Miami Blues". It appears that Gleason was type cast as Principal Vernon. Maybe that's a good thing, and maybe that's a bad thing. But it appears to have limited his acting opportunities from 1985 until his passing.




Here are some of the classic Principal Vernon quotes, stolen directly from imdb.com:


Richard Vernon: That's the last time, Bender. That the last time you ever make me look bad in front of those kids, you hear me? I make $31,000 a year and I have a home and I'm not throwing it all away on some punk like you. But someday when you're outta here and forgotten about this place and they've forgotten about you, and you're wrapped up in your own pathetic life, I'm gonna be there. That's right. And I'm gonna kick the living shit out of you. I'm gonna knock your dick in the dirt.
Bender: You threatening me?
Richard Vernon: What are you gonna do about it? You think anyone's gonna believe you? You think anyone's gonna take your word over mine? I'm a man of respect around here. They love me. I'm a swell guy. You're a lying sack of monkey shit, and everyone knows about it. Oh, you're a tough guy. Hey c'mon. Get on your feet pal. Let's find out how tough you are. I wanna know how tough you are. Let's go. C'mon man, just take the first shot. I'm begging you, take the first shot. Just take one good swing...
[Bender pauses, staring]
Richard Vernon: Yeah, that's what I thought. You're a gutless turd.

Richard Vernon: [Andrew laughs at Bender's backtalk] You think he's funny? You think this is cute? You think he's "bitchin," is that it? Let me tell you something. Look at him - he's a bum. You want to see something funny? You go visit John Bender in five years. You'll see how goddamned funny he is.

Richard Vernon: You think about this: when you get old, these kids - when *I* get old - they're going to be running the country.
Carl: Yeah.
Richard Vernon: Now this is the thought that wakes me up in the middle of the night. That when I get older, these kids are going to take care of me.
Carl: I wouldn't count on it.

Richard Vernon: Hey. What's going on in there?
[whispering]
Richard Vernon: Spoiled little pricks.

Richard Vernon: You ought to spend a little more time trying to do something with yourself and a little less time trying to impress people.

Principal Richard Vernon: The next time I have to come in here I'm crackin' skulls.


Trivia:


Attended and played football at Florida State University along with fellow actors Burt Reynolds and Robert Urich. Also played minor league baseball before turning to acting.


Published the obligatory book of poetry, though google books has no listing for it.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home