Sunday, November 26, 2006

Houston's Tracy McGrady breaks own self reference record...

...in an AP article titled "McGrady Is Content in His Supporting Role for Yao", from today's New York Times.

------------------------------------------------

As you may know, T-Mac's personal record was set in this SI online article from two weeks ago, at an astonishing 5.95%, when he referred to himself 75 times in a 1,260 word article.

But the man is worker....at least in the self reference department.

And today that hard work has paid off.

Now, much of today's AP article concerns Yao Ming's MVP caliber play thus far, but two paragraphs in particular are quotes from Mr. McGrady talking about how he, T-Mac, has grown as a player since the long ago days he had to "carry the (Magic)":

1) "'I had no choice but to go out and carry the team, because I didn’t have Grant Hill,' he said, referring to his time with the Orlando Magic. 'When I came here, I’ve got a big guy that I can go throw the ball to and he gets 25 shots a night and I could defer to him.' -- That's 6 self references out of 58 words. Great effort, coming in at 10.34%. But he can do better.....

2) "'I’m all about winning; I’m a very unselfish player,' McGrady said. 'For me, it’s all about getting W’s. I’ve won scoring championships. I don’t care about none of that stuff no more. I’m at a point in my career where I just want to win ballgames. So if that’s going out averaging 12, 15 points and we’re winning ballgames, so be it.'" -- And there it is, sports fans! 8 self references in a 62 word paragraph. That's the record; 12.90%.

You may quibble with our record keeping, since we cherry picked two paragraphs out of an eleven paragraph story, buried on page 3 of the Times Sports Sunday.

And you may be right.

But it's our blog.

------------------------------------------------

The NBA. New Slogan: Where's Rondo?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home