Thursday, January 04, 2007

Change Shop owner doing what he loves.

The 'Ba.... Sorry. The 'PENT presents our first "Triplejump": (1) Click Here. then on.. (2) "Business" (3) "Owner does what he loves"

A HackTalk interview with noted local change shop owner Fredrick von Stueben II, owner/operater of "Six Pence" in nearby Cape Elizabeth.

-------------------------------------

HT: Hello Mr. Stueben, here's our traditional opening question: What would you be doing if you had a chance to live your life over?
FvS: Probably painting a good deal of the time. Painting and drawing. Drawing and painting, painting and drawing. A sliver of doodling, as well. With a break once in a while to write 20 page Gailic poetry. And maybe giving performances as a thespian orator to various local audiences, in addition. One doesn't know, does one?

--------------------------------------

HT: How did you get involved in this line of work?
FvS: I started my first job making change one score and nine years past. I've had other jobs in between, yet I've always been involved in making change. Years ago I owned a real estate concern in the commonwealth of Massachusetts. Also, for many years I was employed as a tobacco/environmental lobbyist in Washington. But to relax, well, I've always had my fingers in loose change. It's what I love to do. Some people find a job they really love and it relaxes them; that's what making change does for me. Even when I used to do volunteer Presidential and political advance work involving important people you may be familiar with, well, if somebody asked me, "Can you come to Iowa next week?" I'd say "No, I need to make change." They would often give me a strange look for some reason. I'd be telling a President or Vice President or some minor candidate which piece of tape to stand on one day, then providing quarters and dimes to those in need the next day. It's not a big deal, though. Like being a glorified purse, quite honestly.

HT: How did you become interested in change?
FvS: I had an apprenticeship when I was 19 and a half. I was attending Massachusetts University of the Silver Dollar, making change all the way through to support myself. I've always been involved in it; running change shops, managing change shops, several of which have evolved into much bigger change makers. I was always one to pay attention to detail and service. Especially where buffalo head nickels are concerned. Those can truly make or break a change maker.

HT: So how did you make the transition to your business today?
FvS: Before my dual offspring were birthed by my better half four and a half years past, I had been doing quite a bit of thinking. About where to go, what to do, that type of thing. The very best way to break a fiver. One day I was in a motorcade for VP Albert Gore, doodling, thinking, and looking out the window. I thought, "I have to get back to doing what I love", and I decided it was time to simplify. Though my parents lived in Boxboro, our family's great uncle Willhelm von Stueben was born and raised in Portland back in the early days of the 20th century. Uncle Willy saw our family periodically and he would sometimes query us children, "When are you little brats coming up to Southern Maine?" I'd always enjoyed the rustic, faded glory of this particular area of old New England. So I eventually moved my family here. That was four very long years ago.

HT: When did you start the business?
FvS: About two years ago. I did a lot of change making for private companies and big corporations. When people discovered that we made correct change, as they could see samples on the walls throughout the warehouse, they started asking me to make all sorts of interesting change. So I opened this shop, built with tears and perspiration.

HT: Do you run the business alone?
FvS: When I moved here I took on a business partner. He's in his mid-20s. I believe he attended a rather decent local high school and graduated from Berklee College of Musicianship. He's a photographer, philosopher, artist, and possesses a fine business mind. A genius, actually. In all the years I've been making change I don't think I've found anybody who got it so quickly and is so good at it.

HT: You really enjoy standing with your arms folded across your chest, don't you?
FvS: Yes I do. And it's required of my underlings, as well. Of there'll be hell to pay.

HT: Just what in the world are you thinking about when you're standing there?
FvS: I'm thinking, "What special dishes will Panera Bread entice me with this evening?"

HT: How's the neighborhood you live in?
FvS: I wanted to be in this area. No, really. It's where I live, but more important it's very "into the arts." A very vibrant, special neighborhood. There's a lot of truly wonderful things occurring here. Let's see... From Big Oak Tree Hill to the boat house nearby. Every month, starting this February hopefully, I'm going to hold a Third Wednesday Art Jam, inviting different art-related businesses to join in and enjoy a good old fashioned rug cutting.

HT: So what are you doing today?
FvS: Truly a variety of change making. For example, I have one small job I'll be doing where the customer needs two $20s and a $10 changed, with a maximum 50 coins.

HT: Will you get that done today?
FvS: Well, I'll probably get at least two of those done today.

HT: What's hard about the business?
FvS: Getting the word out, letting people know that we're here, a business in its infancy. Educating people that change making is costly but not prohibitively expensive.

HT: Where does the name "Six Pence" come from?
FvS: My favorite band. Years ago when I was doing Presidential advance work, I would be shouting to the younger fellows, "Remain very quiet lest ye be overheard." Or when it came time to roust a jackabout, I'd be saying, "Get em, boys!" and they'd be calling out, "Keep your yap shut, Six Pence!" They would also call me that when I was wearing a robe, since I was a justice of the peace. When I got here, I didn't know what to name the business in the beginning. So a friend of mine said, "You should use the name "Six Pence." And everyone seems to love the name. People send us their cd's often. Though they say finding copies nowadays can be something of a headache.

HT: Thanks for your time, Fredrick. I'll let you get back to your change.
FvS: Good day and be well, sir!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home