Monday, April 13, 2009

My Must See TV

What shows are worth watching? Well, there aren't that many, but the ones I do DVR I enjoy thoroughly and would recommend to anyone looking for a good TV fix. As I spend most nights when I'm home watching live sports or reading, I usually record these shows, then watch them and zip through the commercials (the only way to go).

-----

"30 Rock" -- The best sitcom on TV by a wide margin.

"Parks and Recreation" -- I'll give this one a chance, though the premiere was lackluster. There is just too much talent in play for this not to succeed.

"The Office" -- I stopped recording this show early on this season because it just wasn't making me laugh, but I have read positive reviews of it lately and this week will be the first time I've watched it since the fall. Here's hoping things have improved.

"Southland" -- The first episode last Thursday was absolutely riveting! Great premiere. A true "must see" show.

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" -- Another "must see", especially for anyone as disappointed in the mass media as I am. A great source for news of the day, though Stewart has been getting a bit preachy at times lately. Please come down off your high horse a bit, Jon, and be funny more often please.

"The Colbert Report" -- Simply brilliant TV. I can see a terrific movie coming somewhere down the road for Colbert based on his blowhard character. Can't be missed.

"60 Minutes" -- Mass media done right, though I could do without the nearly 70 year old Leslie Stahl's mini skirts. Sheesh! They have had a fine season, though I usually stop the tape before Andy Rooney's pointless complaining. Shave those eyebrows, Mr. Rooney. You look really scary!

"The Simpsons" -- A disappointing season for one of the greatest shows ever. Not really that funny, and not that timely either. They just haven't brung it much in 2008-9. Maybe new blood is needed on the writing staff, but I will continue to watch, as it only takes 22 minutes to watch a taped episode.

"The New Adventures of Old Christine" -- Yes, I watch bad TV, too. Only because of Julia Louis-Dreyfus resume do I continue to spend 22 minutes in her world. It's not a bad show and the characters are likeable, it's just not that funny.

"Friday Night Lights" -- The season just ended last week, and though some of the developments are fairly implausible, the writing and acting are absolutely first rate. One of the best, if not the best, dramas on TV. Here's hoping it returns for another season on NBC, as apparently the ratings are poor and there is thought of canceling it (again).

"Law and Order" -- One of the stalwarts of the weekly TV schedule, I think they have had their best season ever. The quality of the acting and writing has never been higher. Here's hoping the show never ends, as they remain timely and interesting.

"Saturday Night Live" -- Though at times unwatchable (last week's episode being example number one), there is still hope for the only live show of note on TV. I keep rooting for poor Kristin Wiig to finally fulfill the promise she has shown, but she does not deserve the excess of sketches she receives. I am a Bill Hader, Andy Samberg, and Fred Armisen man. These three are versatile and talented and deserve more airtime. This show will hopefully be on longer that I am alive, as there is always a place for timely sketch comedy on late night TV.

--

That's about it for television shows I watch. What is your "must see" TV?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home