Monday, January 25, 2010

The NY Times Guesses Upcoming Oscar Nominees in the Major Categories

...here.

I thought "Bright Star", "A Single Man", and "Funny People" were three of the best acted and directed films I saw this year. Nice to see them getting some love here.

Among this year's most overrated films, in my opinion, were "Up in the Air" (enjoyable but not funny and not really about a whole lot), "The Hurt Locker" (I may have overreacted by walking out about 45 minutes in, but there were some laughably implausible scenes early on), "Public Enemies" (huge boring disappointment from one of my favorite directors, Michael Mann), "Inglourious Basterds" (Quentin badly needed an editor with balls) and "A Serious Man" (so dull I left the theatre after about 40 minutes).

Can't wait to see "Crazy Heart" (Jeff Bridges might be the greatest male actor in the world), "Fantastic Mr. Fox" (how did I miss this in the theatres?), "Gomorrah" (never made it to Maine), and "Summer Hours" (with the always enchanting Juliette Binoche). I guess I'll have to Netflix the ones I didn't get to.

-------------

The Oscar nominations come out on February 2nd. I think this was a fairly average year in film, with no classics being released save "Avatar", and with some of the most talked about films disappointing me. But many good ones.

With the number of Best Picture nominees up from five to ten in the hopes of more buzz and dollars coming into the studios, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home