Saturday, June 18, 2011

Enough With the "4 Days of Growth" Look

Don Johnson on "Miami Vice" was the first man I remember sporting a few days worth of facial hair and being celebrated for it, way back in the mid 80s when his TV show was the hottest thing on. I remember reading somewhere that he washed his almost-beard up to 30 times a day with just warm water, in order to keep it soft. That seemed cool. I guess a lot of guys thought it was cool, and the look took off.

But 25 years later, I say "Enough is enough" with the fucking facial hair. Who wants to look like a bum anymore? I don't. If I had the energy, I'd shave every day. As it is, I shave off the whiskers every other day, maybe every third day. I love the feeling of my freshly shaved face and neck. Nice and smooth and clean.

I can remember back in 1988, I was entering the workforce for the first time after graduating from Miami (Oh) and landed a job as an accountant in Nashua, NH. One morning, after a few months of working at Newton & DiBenedetto, I was too lazy too shave and figured that it was no big deal to let one day's growth go unchecked. The first thing my boss, Doug, said to me when he saw me was, kiddingly, "Ya didn't feel like shaving today, huh?" He had me dead to rights. It was the very first thing he noticed about me, so that shows you what a big deal it was. You didn't come to a serious, suit and tie job looking like you just rolled out of bed back in '88. And I shaved every day after that (until I quit, but that's another story). And I support that idea today.

I have cringed for years at the Oscars when the most beautiful and talented actresses on the planet are accompanied to the biggest event of the year by what look like, largely, goat herders in tuxes. Jesus, it's a bad look to have a scruffy bunch of growth with a nice suit or a tux. Clean it up! Look professional! You all look like bums!

The Don Johnson, Four Days of Growth Look has had quite a run, but it's over. Shave at least every third day if you're fair skinned and have brown hair like me. If you have the orangutan look, with dark facial hair, think about shaving every morning and before you hit the town at night.

Please.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's easy to judge those who have to go to work each day and advise how they should appear...especially if one doesn't have to even get up....it is easier to write criticism than to look at ones self I suppose...

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home