Wednesday, April 22, 2009

NFL Draft on Saturday: "No One Knows Anything" -- William Goldman

I love the NFL Draft. I have two TVs in my living room, and on draft day I will always have one of them tuned to ESPN. I go full bore. But make no mistake: I have no idea what is going on, and neither does anyone else. To think that we, as fans, or they, as management, know whether a college kid is going to turn into a decent NFL players is laughable.

But it's fascinating nonetheless. I will watch all that I can, then read the postmortems on how each team "did" in the draft. all the while knowing that each syllable, each sentence, each utterance is completely meaningless.

Take a look at the Patriots current roster (Here). An astonishing 23 young men were not even drafted, yet found their way on to the roster of the league's premier franchise. And of course the very best player on the team and possibly the greatest quarterback ever was drafted in the sixth round; one Tom Brady. Think about that for a while.

Once again, let's all enjoy the feast of football on Saturday and Sunday, all the while remembering that absolutely nobody has any idea how it will all turn out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home