Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Random Thoughts on a Tuesday Night

I had a dream last night that Notre Dame would win the National Championship in football this season, for whatever that's worth. Though I am not impartial, as my grandfather got his PHD from the school way back when.

...

The Cavs are going to beat the Magic. No doubt about it. As I write these sentences, Orlando is up 3 points late in Game Four. No matter: LeBron won't let them lose. Book it. (Edit: Mike Brown got outcoached tonight by not having a timeout with 3.2 seconds left in overtime to advance the ball and the Cavs lose.)

...

How is it that chores like doing laundry and brushing my teeth change from sheer drudgery when I am in a bad mood to enjoyable activities once I am in a better place? Guess life would be boring if every day was the same.

...

Every baseball fan should read two books that came out in the last couple of weeks: "Odd Man Out" by Matt McCarthy and "Heart of the Game" by S.L. Price. Both are sure to be considered classics for many years to come.

...

I am turning 43 on Friday, and it's really not that big a deal to me. I do remember my father and how ancient I thought he was at this age. But times have changed, and a man being in his mid 40's is not the death sentence that it used to be now that folks have discovered the health benefits of exercise, diet, and giving up smoking. Along with a lot of botox.

...

Movies I plan on watching the next boring, rainy day that comes my way: "Bottle Rocket", "Citizen Kane", "Office Space", "Clifford" (WHAT?? you've never seen this one? a classic!), and "Diner." Just some random great movies. Quentin Tarantino has said that watching his favorite movies repeatedly is liking "spending time with some good friends", and I feel the same way about my DVD collection.

...

Right now, we here in Portland, Maine have the best weather in the world. Anywhere from mid-50s to low 70s, with a slight breeze off the ocean. Great sleeping weather. Just perfect, if you ask me. Enjoy it!

...

Just wait: the Red Sox, despite inconsistent starting pitching, are going to put together enough winning streaks where the starters pitch the way they can and the hitters hit the way they can to get into the playoffs, as either the division winners or the wildcard. And that is all we should ask for as baseball fans in the Boston area: a chance for another World Series win.

...

I got a cat, which I named Rudy, about three weeks ago from the animal shelter in Westbrook. And in that short time span I cannot now imagine living in my tiny apartment without having her around. She is a joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home