Saturday, January 09, 2010

Fun, Cheap Things For Me To Do Here In Portland By Myself

1) Go to an afternoon show at the Cinemagic 16, which I guess is technically in Westbrook but only ten minutes drive from my apartment on Brighton Avenue.

I never get over the thrill and delight experienced during the opening minutes of a movie I've never seen. "Will it be good?" "Will it be great?" "Is this a movie I will remember for the rest of my life?" No matter how many clunkers I see, I still love the experience of going to the movies. And, at $7 for a matinee here in Maine, movies are still just about the cheapest form of entertainment around.

---------------------

2) Work out at World Gym on Marginal Way.

Another cheap form of entertainment. How can you beat the price: $15 a month? As I exercise about five times a week I pay less than a dollar a visit. The vibe is good at World, as there is a pleasant mix of heavy duty lifters and recreational folks (I'd say I'm right in the middle of those two groups). The staff is always friendly and pleasant and does a great job keeping the place clean (a must for any gym [...that means you, Lifestyles!]). I'd recommend World over Planet Fitness, which is just down the street, as PF has low ceilings, is always packed ("Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -- Yogi Berra), and has less space for lifting.

-------------------

3) Sit in my car down at the Back Cove parking lot for an hour or two.

Does this make me a letch? You won't see too many runners this time of year, though there are some that make the effort. But as a time killer in the more seasonable times of year here in Portland, I can easily spend an hour just people watching.

--------------------

4) Shoot baskets on the outdoor court on the Eastern Promenade.

Though often very windy, the court overlooking Casco Bay is a nice relaxing place to shoot hoops in the summer heat. Beautiful views of some of Maine's most picturesque water.

--------------------

5) Window shop at Whole Foods.

I may be poor but that doesn't mean I don't have taste. Spent a half hour yesterday afternoon just wandering the aisles of the priciest supermarket in town, wondering what I would buy if money and calories were not to part of my eating equation.

---------------------

6) Get a haircut at SpaTech.

Highly recommended because at $6 a pop for a men's cut you can't beat the price. And the students who do the work are unfailingly friendly and pleasant. I've been going for years and have never had a bad experience.

---------------------

7) SeaDogs and Pirates games.

You can't beat the price for SeaDogs tickets, at about $8 for reserved seats. But getting a seat during the nice weather can be troublesome. The Pirates are more expensive but you can always get a seat the day of the game. One of the best things about living in Portland is having three minor league teams in town, though I have not been to a Red Claws game yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home