Monday, September 18, 2006

If FireJoeMorgan is right, I must again weep for the Globe....

Because I can remember when it's Sports Pages were possibly the nation's best, though as a kid in the pre-internet age I had no idea that this was the case: I just remember Dad coming home at 6:00 sharp with the Globe under his arm....

"Hey Dad....can I have the Globe??" Every damn night. That was life in the 70's for young sports fans all over New England.

==========================

But Nick Cafardo et all are clearly in the Decline stage of the Decline and Fall of the Globe Empire saga. This is a ridiculous article.

Again, I don't get the Globe's paper version, and this is from a blog. But if Cafardo wrote that Hanley Ramirez was part of the '03 Draft he should retire.

Or take a really long nap.

Jesus.

________________________________________

Edit: That's what you call "losing the moral high ground".

Now that our summer intern, ol' what's her name, has gone back to Caddwalader U. for the fall semester (I remember she WAS "a peach"), a poor job of proofreading can only be blamed on myself. Obviously, I got my stuff for this post from FireJoeMorgan, not Baseball Prospectus.

Man...I thought I was on such a roll with the whole "outrage" thing.

-----------------------------------

9/20 Edit of Edit: Yes, it's true. Nick Cafardo claimed in the Monday, 9/18/06 print edition of The Boston Globe that
"The '03 draft produced Rocco Baldelli, Mark Teixeira, Jose Reyes, Joe Mauer, Miguel Cabrera, Justin Morneau, Johan Santana, Travis Haffner, Hanley Ramirez, Rich Harden, Lastings Milledge, Brandon Wood, Nick Markakis, Chad Cordero, and Rickey Weeks."

Lastings Milledge? He couldn't have said Ryan Howard or someone good at least?

Great comment at FJM:

I'm pretty sure I figured out how this went down.

March 2003:
Cafardo walks past his assistant Hal.

CAFARDO
Hey Hal. You get that coffee and danish I asked for?

HAL
Um, yeah. Well, they were out of danishes, but I got you a muffin instead. Here's your coffee.

CAFARDO
Out of danishes? What is this, Russia? [tasting coffee] Hal, tell me this is whole milk in my coffee.

HAL
Oh, right. I'm sorry. I forgot you liked...skim.

CAFARDO
TELL ME THIS IS WHOLE MILK YOU LITTLE DICKWEED --

HAL
Sorry! Sorry. It's whole milk. I'm sorry.

CAFARDO
That's what I thought.

WE FLASH FORWARD TO:
September 2006

HAL
So, remember, tomorrow's my last day. Thanks for this incredible opportunity.

CAFARDO
No, Hal. Thank you. Oh. One last thing -- I need a list of all the good players drafted in 2003.

HAL
Yeah, I'll get that for you right away.
# posted by dak : 9/19/2006 1:39 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home