Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Economic Value of a Smile

Every morning for the past few months I have had a daily appoinment at 10am. On the way there I like to go to McDonald's and get a couple of breakfast sandwiches and a drink. The problem is which one to buy from, as I have two choices: The closest one, right down the street from The 'Pent, or the second option, nearer downtown Portland and slightly but not prohibitively out of my way.

At first, I valued travel time most importantly. But as the days went on it I found myself dreading the transaction more and more. Could not figure out why until I realized that the McD's employees were humorless and dour. Never a look straight in the eye and a friendly "Have a nice morning!" No personality at all, just a barked "What will you have?", etc.

So out of exasperation a few weeks back I gave the downtown McD's a shot. It's about five minutes more travel time on a twenty minute drive. And I find the employees in the drive through lane there much more personable and communicative than those nearest The 'Pent.

Now, I look forward to my biscuit and McGriddle each day, as I receive a nice warm "Good morning!" each time I pull up and a pleasing "Have a nice one" as I drive away.

The obvious lesson to all retail managers is that good customer service leads to higher sales. I go out of my way each and every morning right now in order to receive friendly and efficient service. The fact that it takes longer to get where I'm going just makes me leave five minutes earlier.

A small price to pay for piece of mind, I would say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home