Monday, February 08, 2010

Next! -- The Upcoming NCAA March Madness Extraveganza

I've compiled a YouTube listing for one of my favorite moments of the sports calender, CBS's "One Shining Moment" video, shown immediately after the NCAA men's basketball championship each April since 1987. (Some years were not available on YouTube though)

------------

2009: UNC win's Deputy Dog's second, the school's fifth. Not much of a game, as the Heels routed Michigan State.

2008: Kansas wins the Big Dance. I missed this championship game, as I was in the ER of Maine Medical Center trying to get admitted to the hospital.

2007: The second of Florida's back to back titles. They have not made the tourney since. Another game that I missed, as I was in the hospital suffering from depression.

2006: Florida wins their first NCAA men's title. Memorable because my aunt had scored tickets. We watched the game's from the Hoosier Dome. All three games were blowouts, but I didn't care: I WAS THERE!!

2005: UNC wins the school's fourth title. Roy Williams shows Matt Doherty how to friggin' coach.

2004: UConn wins the school's second title. A great UConn team that won because Okafor's back held up. He was very questionable coming into the tourney, as he had suffered spasms in the Big East tourney and many thought UConn would lose early.

2003: Syracuse wins its first. Will always be remembered by me as a sad time, as my brother Andy and I watched this game from a hospital room in Manchester, NH, where my father lay dying of lung cancer.

2002: Maryland wins. They beat a mediocre Indiana team in the most lackluster championship game of my memory. They should burn the tapes of this one. And Gary Williams today has become one of the foremost sufferers of Rollie Massimino Disease, which happens to a coach who wins the title and begins to coast. Williams and Maryland have done basically nothing since.

2001: Duke wins Coach K's third. I remember watching Jason Williams tear up his ankle late in the season and thinking "That's it for Duke." But as great athletes often do, he recovered quickly from a serious injury and led a terrific Blue Devil team to the win.

2000: Michigan State wins for Tom Izzo. Has any coach followed a legend (Jud Heathcote) better than Coach Izzo? So many guys take over a program that loses its signature head man and come up wanting. Think Indiana, Arizona, Illinois, UCLA for decades, and others. Izzo is amazing and still going strong today.

1999: UConn won its first title, but I can't find the video for "One Shining Moment" on YouTube. Bummer.

1998: Tubby Smith and UK win. Of course a few years later the miserable Kentucky fans ran Tubby out of town on a rail.

1997: Arizona wins in a huge upset. The last year at UK for Rick Pitino, as the Wildcats do down to Arizona in a great final.

1996: Kentucky's historically great squad wins it for Pitino. We may never see another team as good as the 95-96 Wildcat group because so many of the greats leave school early today to go to the NBA draft.

1995: UCLA and Ed O'Bannon win it all. Now we're going back a ways. Great memories for me watching this video, as my alma mater, Miami University, is featured yukking it up. Cool!

1994: It's Arkansas.

1993: It's Dean Smith and UNC beating the Fab Five.

1992: Duke wins the second of their back to back.

1991: Duke takes Coach K's first national title, including a historic upset of the great UNLV team that was led by Larry Johnson.

1990: UNLV tears through the tournament. They destroyed Duke in the final, but people forget that the Rebs were not considered a great team that year until after they were crowned champions.

1989: Michigan wins it for Steve Fischer on Glen Rice's amazing shooting display.

1988: Danny Manning and the Miracles from Kansas take the crown. If Manning hadn't hurt his ankle, or even gotten drafted by the Clippers in the first place, I believe he'd be in the Hall of Fame now. The final versus Oklahoma is famous for the 50-50 halftime score in a wonderful game.

1987: Bob Knight's last really good Indiana team beats Syracuse on Keith Smart's baseline J with 4 seconds left in the final. I remember watching the first part of the tourney from St. Petersburg, Florida during spring break of my junior year at Miami. Great memories, but I wish I hadn't gotten so drunk every night that trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home