Saturday, March 19, 2011

Portland Author Caitlin Shetterly's "Made For You and Me"

Amazon listing

============

This is a terrific, readable book.

============

Indianapolis Clown

I don't know what it would be like
To have someone depending on me
What do I know of suffering, of hunger, of other's desperation
Their fears, and sorrow for a life
Not lived with joy, not made worthwhile.

I have not suffered enough
To think and feel for others
As I would want
They cry and I stare back blankly.

As I finish reading, I notice the old pennant on my wall
"Indianapolis Clowns"
A Negro League ball team
Peopled with young black men seventy years ago
Whose fathers and grandpas were slaves, dying
Too young, too sick, too poor.

They all lived righteous lives
And made something of themselves
That history loves.
If so
So can I
And Caitlin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home