Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Loring Life

I live in low income housing
The building is called The Loring House
An old hospital converted to apartments
Several decades back

It's been almost seven years since I moved in
And it feels right

My rent is about half of what market would be
The government pays the rest
As I am "disabled"
On the dole
A bit of a bum, some might say

But I've tried my best to fit in with the world outside
Loring House doors
And it's not been a good fit
Craziness
Drinking
Hospitalizations
Suicide attempts
All that

Yeah, I belong here
And it's fine
Most of the time
I have my two tvs, my books, my iMac
My kitty cat Rudy
And quiet
Now

The people who live in the couple of dozen apartments
Below me
Are just like me
Some older
Some sicker
Some with less money
But I fit here

They trust me, most of them
I bet
To not shit on them
Like most of the world does
I don't
Ever

Because I'm next (if that happens)
And I like it here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home