Tuesday, October 24, 2006

"Percy Faith....Good!": In honor of Bruno Kirby

Part 1 of what we hope to be an ongoing series to spotlight outstanding but generally unsung performances.

=====================================

Everybody remembers the great job Robin Williams did as Adrian Cronauer, but for my money Kirby's Lt. Steven Hauk (ha!) just killed in his role, as the guy belonged in "Catch-22" as much as anything. Also, this was one of the first big roles for Forest Whitaker (It's a long way from Staff Sgt. Dreiwitz to Idi Amin).


Some Memorable Quotes from "Good Morning, Vietnam" - (1987):

Lt. Steven Hauk: Sir, in my heart, I know I'm funny.

Lt. Steven Hauk: And where you do imagine you're going?
Adrian Cronauer: I'm going to get something to eat.
Lt. Steven Hauk: You ain't got time. You'll stay here and drink instant beverages or something. We promised our viewing audience Nixon highlights by 4:00 PM.
Adrian Cronauer: I've been on the air for four hours. I'm a little hungry.
Lt. Steven Hauk: That's a joke right? I get it.
Adrian Cronauer: No. I'm actually hungry
Lt. Steven Hauk: Well I'm actually giving you an order.
Adrian Cronauer: Oh it's an order. In that case gentlemen. Let's edit.

Lt. Steven Hauk: First of all, don't make fun of the weather here, and don't say the weather is the same all the time here. Because it's not. In fact, it's two degrees colder today than yesterday.
Adrian Cronauer: Two degrees colder, me without my muff.

Lt. Steven Hauk: Furthermore, you are to stick to playing normal modes of music, not weird stuff. Those who we'd find acceptable here would include Lawrence Welk, Jim Nabors, Mantovani...
Adrian Cronauer: ...Percy Faith...
Lt. Steven Hauk: Percy Faith... good!... Andy Williams, Perry Como, and certain ballads by Mr. Frank Sinatra.
Adrian Cronauer: Would Bob Dylan be outta line?

[Lt. Steven Hauk uses Army jargon to refer to a press conference to be given by former Vice-President Nixon]
Adrian Cronauer: Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Lt. Steven Hauk: Where's Crounauer?
Staff Sgt. Dreiwitz: Still eating, sir.
Lt. Steven Hauk: I want to see him ASAP.
Staff Sgt. Dreiwitz: What, sir?
Lt. Steven Hauk: As soon as possible.
Staff Sgt. Dreiwitz: VG sir.

Lt. Steven Hauk: And who gave him permission to play modern music?

Lt Steven Hauk: Yeah. And perhaps some night we could maybe get together and swap humorous stories, for f.un.
Adrian Cronauer: Oh, why not? Maybe play a couple of Tennessee Ernie Ford records, that'd be a hoot.
Lt. Steven Hauk: That's a joke, right?
Adrian Cronauer: Maybe.
Lt. Steven Hauk: I get it.

[the audience response to Hauk replacing Cronauer on the radio]
Staff Sgt. Dreiwitz: Sir, these letters are unequivocal! Uh, e.g.
[reads a letter]
Staff Sgt. Dreiwitz: "Hey, Hauk. Eat a bag of shit. You suck." Now that's pretty much to the point, sir, not much gray area in this one.

Lt. Steven Hauk: Sir, the man has got an irreverent tendency. He did a very off-color parody of former VP Nixon.
General: I thought it was hilarious.
Lt. Steven Hauk: Respectfully, sir, the former VP is a good man and a decent man.
General: Bullshit! I know Nixon personally. He lugs a trainload of shit behind him that could fertilize the Sinai. Why, I wouldn't buy an apple from the son of a bitch and I consider him a good, close, personal friend.

Lt. Steven Hauk: Who do we have slated for live entertainment in November?
Dan 'The Man' Levitan: Well, we originally wanted Bob Hope, but it turns out he won't come.
Lt. Steven Hauk: Why not?
Edward Garlick: He doesn't play police actions, just wars. Bob likes a big room, sir.
Lt. Steven Hauk: That is not funny!
Private Abersold: How about if it escalated?
Lt. Steven Hauk: How about if what escalated?
Private Abersold: The Vietnam conflict.
Lt. Steven Hauk: The Vietnam conflict. We are not going to escalate a whole war just so we can book a big name comedian!

============================

Gathered from one of the most valuable sites on the net, IMDB.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home