Monday, October 23, 2006

Your Friends and Neighbors: This is funny?

Alternate Title: "Other people's problems crack me up."

====================================

From prdifferently.typepad.com.

====================================

Here's a small sampling of the comments this whole thing got on prdifferently:


unnnnnn-beeeeeee-lievableeeeeeeeee. seriously, all you can do is laugh! thanks for posting that. i'm linking a few friends now. cheers :)
-hh
Posted by: heidi | July 17, 2006 at 22:26


oh. my. god. I (almost) can't believe it. But I heard the taped proof!
Posted by: Pamela | July 17, 2006 at 23:51


"I didn't know that your paying the bill was contingent on me going out with you again."
Ok, even though I think this guy is way out of line, maybe the ladies out there should really, really insist on paying half when you know you never want to see this guy again. Not because of weirdo's like this guy, because maybe it is the right thing to do. An example of this is buying a drink for a girl at a bar. My friend did this, offered a lady a drink, she accepted, talking to him for about 30 seconds and promptly walked away with her drink. He walked up to her and said something along the lines of 'how dare you?! You know as well as I do that that drink isn't really a drink, it's says I like you would you like to talk and get to know each other better. And accepting the drink is accepting this offer.' And you know what he's right. That is what the drink signifies.
So I guess the question is, what does the custom of the man paying for dinner (at least the first one, if not a few more) signify?
Hmm, maybe some sexist things here but the one thing that jumps out it symbolizes being a provider. It's old school crap but that basically is what it is....
Posted by: guest | July 18, 2006 at 11:09


Would you please forward Darren's personal info to my email address? He sounds like my kind of guy.
Oy.
Posted by: Trix | July 18, 2006 at 12:54


God I'm happy that I'm married.
Posted by: Josh Morgan | July 19, 2006 at 03:16


"The drink does not "signify" anything, "
But yes it does. If not then what is this strange phenomenon of men buying total strangers drinks. "Hi, I'm joe would like a drink? There ya go, thanks come again'. Everything in dating is rituals. Not as primative as they once were, but rituals none the less. I hate to repeat myself but c'mon, you know the man is offering the drink is really saying 'You are attractive to me and I'm making an attempt to get to know you better, are you interested as well?'.
That's what it means plain and simple.
Posted by: guest | July 19, 2006 at 19:26


This sounds like something I saw on People's Court last week.
Posted by: Owen Lystrup | July 19, 2006 at 20:01


Money invariably ruins my relationships with women -- except, of course, where it makes them possible at all.
Posted by: slinkybender | July 20, 2006 at 15:42


Unreal. I am soooo glad that I don't have to date anymore. If I found myself single once again, I think I'd stay that way.
Posted by: Vayacondia | July 20, 2006 at 15:49


Well, as a Jewish person this certainly doesn't do a lot to dispell stereotypes does it. What a fucking loser. Thank god I'm a dyke. We have losers but they are a little less scary.
Posted by: Susan | July 20, 2006 at 16:22


This guy is a complete NARCISSIST and/or MYSOGYNIST!
He probably expects to get laid if he gives a girl a backrub.
Don't give things and expect things in return, Darren. When you don't get those things, going all psycho is NOT ok. Grow UP!
Posted by: ginpoopoo | July 20, 2006 at 17:21



As a former jdater, I've been that girl! I've gone on PLENTY of first dates and let the suitor pay for my portion. However, the difference with me and her is I never offer to go dutch....
Yes, his tactics and "follow-up" are atrocious and completely childish. However, I'm surprised I've never received this sort of treatment---makes me think twice about first dates and my etiquette after .
Bottom line, you have to feel sorry for the guy. He probably has no clue what a psycho he is being and wonders why he can't keep a girl around!!!
Posted by: js | July 20, 2006 at 18:20


Congrats PR guy! You've posted an embellished urban legend that's been going round the internet since 2004. Maybe you and the pro-lifer guy who wrote about that Onion piece can be pen pals.
Posted by: akaria | July 21, 2006 at 01:29



tradition says man pays for woman. this comes i think from the primal instinct that the man should be able to provide food for the woman before she engages with him sexually. her depency on him for bringing her food whilst pregnant is enormous of course. doesn't matter whether she has a high paying job or works for minimum wage. at some point she will physically be unable to provide food for herself and her unborn child. unfortunately, this clashes with the instinct of man, having to impregnate as many women as possible, in order for the race to survive.
feminism has kind off destroyed the rationale behind conventional rules, that is, in the hetero world.
how do gay people do this i wonder? with reason?
i agree with most of what you say, except for guest of course....
Posted by: dutchie | July 21, 2006 at 01:41


======================================

OK. So according to akaria, these phone message and e-mails are complete bullshit. I have no idea if they are real or not. But the people posting assumed they were, and a lot of them seemed to think it was hilarious.

The man leaving the messages and sending the e-mails is an abuser. Past, present, or (guaranteed) future. Physical, emotional, what have you. He isn't funny, and if prdifferently is playing a game, well, then for shame.

The people laughing it up are your, and my, friends (?) and neighbors. That's not exactly comforting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home