Tuesday, February 09, 2010

304 Pounds...

....that's how much I weigh.

----------

I've been going to the gym religiously for a year now. I try to eat right, though admittedly I indulge my sweet tooth too much. I try to get enough sleep. I drink almost a gallon of water a day.

And still I am obese.

----------

This is not good. My blood pressure and pulse are fine and I have no real health problems aside from dealing with depression/mental health issues. But my weight is beginning to scare me. There aren't any 6 foot 2 inch 300 pound 80 year olds walking around, at least to my knowledge.

----------

Today I have to get serious about my diet. That seems to be the sticking point.

----------

About fifteen years ago I was in the same kind of situation: way overweight and feeling mad/sad about it. In the mid-nineties I got up to about 280. Then I joined a the YMCA in the Manchester, NH area and began to lift and walk on the treadmill. Being an addictive personality type I soon began working harder and harder and began to very slowly shed some pounds. But it wasn't until I joined a more serious gym in town and became friends with the personal trainer there, Roland, that I really made some headway. Roland was a competitive natural bodybuilder with whom I began to work out, as he was training for a show. He gave me workout and diet tips and it wasn't long before I had lost about 60 pounds, down to 215 or so, and was in the best shape of my life. I even thought about competing in a natural show. (For those unfamiliar, natural bodybuilding is steroid free, and in my eyes the competitors look much for attractive than the drug freaks) That never did happen, but I felt good about my condition and the way I looked, though after I moved away and lost touch with Roland I soon put the weight back on and have been close to three bills for about a decade.

-----------

The frustrating thing about spending the last year exercising fairly vigorously is that I'm doing all the right things in the gym, the same stuff I did fifteen years ago that resulted in massive weight loss. And it's not working. I guess I can thank middle age and maybe even the psychiatric drugs I take for my slowing metabolism. But that is no excuse. There is no reason someone who exercises as much as I do and has the knowledge I have to is as fat as I am.
-----------

I need to cut down on my calories. Eliminate breakfast cereals. Eliminate the muffins from Hannaford that I love so much. I need to eat smaller lunches and skip the chicken wings smothered in butter and fat at the grocery store which I so often indulge. I need to eat fruit snacks. I need to greatly reduce the amount of bread I eat. And then maybe it will be OK to eat a regular dinner. I need to stop eating out, especially the cheap, fat laden fast food that sometimes I partake. I need to work harder on the treadmill. I need to be mentally tougher in not indulging my sweet tooth in weak moments. I just need to get serious.

-----------

I have long term goals concerning my workouts and diet. It is my dream to compete in a natural show in the fall of 2011, but that will NEVER happen unless I start to lose a pound or two a week. And just for my own well being I need to reduce the stress on my heart, system, and joints by losing weight.

-----------

Wish me luck. Today is the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home