Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cleaning out the closet my mind. Man.

-- The Olympics started? Really? Where are they being held? Does anyone care?

-- Friday's Truck Day in Boston was so freaking cool. If you are a Red Sox fan and don't know about Truck Day, for shame. It's the day that moving vans in Boston get loaded up with the team's gear and hit I95 for Florida. A very cool day that lets us all know that winter is almost over and good weather is just around the corner. Yeah, Truck Day 2010!!

-- I almost feel sorry for Peyton Manning. Almost.

-- I didn't see it, but the NBA Slam Dunk contest has lost almost all of its cachet. If LeBron had followed through and done it, I would have watched. But the guys competing, save for Lil Nate, were basically no names. Maybe they need to do it like the Olympics and World Cup and hold it every four years.

-- I belong to World Gym down on Marginal Way here in Portland and I have one very serious question: What the hell is the deal with guys wearing their underwear in the showers? I mean really? What gives? If you are afraid folks are checking out your package....well....they'll certainly stare at you and your junk if you wear clothes while washing. Weird. Do they think some gay guy is going to jump them because their dick is so pretty? Believe me, I've seen plenty of penises in men's locker rooms through the years and if you've seen one you've seen them all.

-- Saw "Valentine's Day" on Friday afternoon. Was really looking forward to it, since Garry Marshall is a decent director and the cast is incredible. But what a "disaster", as The New York Times called it. Ashton Kutcher is as talentless an actor as I have ever, ever seen. Boy is he terrible. The amazing Julia Roberts does wonders with a nothing part, and Jessica Biel looks incredible, as always. When I see a movie I try to decide if I can recommend it to friends. And would certainly advise anyone with taste to avoid "Day."

-- But the new Scorcese/DiCaprio is finally out Friday, and will certainly be worth a looksee. "Shutter Island" was supposed to be released in 2009 but for whatever reason, its owners shelved it to the dead time of late winter. Can't wait to see it, but I'm wondering if it's a bad sign that the second most influential living director is turning to horror.

-- And did you know that Leonardo DiCaprio is 35? Thirty freaking five? He's almost as old as me, and I'm OLD. Man, how time flies.

-- Are the Celtics dead? Yes, if you consider, like me, the only worthwhile season is one in which they win a title. They have basically zero chance of winning four series this summer.

-- My pick for a dark horse in the NCAA tournament is Texas. Their midseason slump hopefully teaches them that they have to play hard, as a team, to win. But they have as many good players as anybody. And Damion James is a real talent who may pull a mini-Glen Rice and lead them into the second or third weekend of the Big Dance.

-- But Kansas is the favorite. With Kentucky and Duke my choices for first weekend potential flameouts.

-- My alma mater, Miami University, has been ranked number one in all the college hockey polls basically all season. We lost to BU in the Frozen Four championship last spring in an unforgettable game. Hopefully this season will end with a title, which my school has never won in any NCAA sport.

-- I've often heard folks say that their life is like a Seinfeld episode, and I have an example of something in my life that gives me that same feeling. There was one scene where Elaine complained to Jerry about a male neighbor in her apartment building with whom she had exchanged "hellos" and nods until the guy started ignoring her. Eventually Elaine confronted the dude and wondered why he decided to not be friendly anymore. As I mentioned, I belong to World Gym and there was this older man whom was very friendly to me when I joined about a year ago. As the months went by the nods and "Hi's" became tougher to get out of him. And now now he completely ignores me. As someone who has suffered from self esteem issues, like most folks, it would not be out of the usual for me to wonder what I had done to piss this weirdo off. But I'm sure I've done nothing. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Just venting, I guess.

-- The Maine Red Claws are kicking the Portland Pirates asses as far as being a good fan experience and value for the ticket dollar. I attended my first Claws game last Wednesday and was blown away with how much fun it was. Great athletes, terrific promotions, friendly employees, awesome dance team. Everything one could hope for. I'm still a Pirates fan, but they have a lot of improvements to hammer out before they can hope to compete with what goes on at the Expo. Congrats to Jon Jennings and his staff for all he's done for the city.

-- I. Am. So. Sick. Of. Winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home