Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Thank You, Red Sox

Last night's beatdown of Kansas City
Was my
First Fenway visit since 2001

So much has changed

All for the better
(Except me: I'm older)
But the place is still magic

Where's all the drunk fucks?
Where's all the trash?

Damn if John Henry and company meant business

----------

What a night

Worst seats in the entire park: Rightfield 92, Row LL
Stiff neck for four hours
As the seats point directly at the fat cop in the pen (what a job)
My 315 pounds spilling into all the surrounding seats
The young woman in front of me did not deserve my wide load near her
My knees numb from trying not to kick her in the back of the head
(What, nobody fat in 1912?)

We heard rain delay: Nope
Game on time, 707pm first pitch
Skies threaten but hold off
Miller makes it interesting in the first, gives up two runs
I assure my friend that KC can't score enough runs to win this game
We come back and beat the shit out of the Royals starter (Who's he?)

By the middle innings it's 12-7 us

People leave at 9
And I want to slap them
I will never, ever be rich enough to walk away from an unfinished ballgame
Because these seats are gold
And the young men on the field gods and monsters

Albers, as usual, earns his money. Aceves too.
Pedey plays like a potential HOFer (you wait, or better yet, ask Bill James what he thinks the odds are: IMO, as good as Nomar's at similar points in their careers): He's a Boston Biggio
Papi and Gonzo crush balls
Ellsbury hits like a future hundred millionaire
Though he misplays a ball and he and Reddick are brutal in the field

Bet Youk was pissed to miss the fun

Didn't pay any attention to the last inning: talking to women
Did we really give up 9?
KC can rake but they can't field, fwiw

The game ends and I'm sad
I may not be back for years
Fucking 'ell it's a beautiful place
And the people who work there blessed
Though burdened with the responsibility to keep it going...

...So keep it going

---------

Thanks guys. It was a great night.

--------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home