Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Gym: Be Seen, Not Heard

I love going to my gym, World Gym, here in Portland. It's got nice, high ceilings and a big floor, so there's no feeling of claustrophobia (like nearby Planet Fitness or Lifestyles). But I've learned in the two years I've been attending that it is safer to speak only when spoken to.

========

I remember about a year ago asking a middle aged, obese woman doing behind the neck military presses if she ever got sore doing that particular lift. She about took my head off with her reply: "I've been exercising for ten years and know exactly what I'm doing!!" At the time it seemed to really bother me when I would see a person doing a lift that was dangerous, and that was the reason I talked to her, but that woman's excitable, harsh, terse, and kind of mean reply cured me of putting my nose where it doesn't belong. Go ahead and do whatever you want, people. I have no interest in talking to other foks, or at least initiating conversations, when exercising since that moment.

It is nice to see someone I know from outside working out at World and speaking with them for a few moments. But man, I do not ever talk to strangers at World unless they talk to me first. I've learned my lesson. People can be so mean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home