Thursday, November 17, 2011

Uncle

I don't have a job. I rely on the US government to pay almost all my bills. I receive $1,223 each month in Social Security Disabiity benefits, a program set up decades ago to help folks like me who are unable to hold down a job that pays enough to live on. I also get Medicaid and Medicare health insurance from the government. I haven't paid a hospital bill for years, as my income is so low that I get free care from Maine Medical Center. Good deal. I'm a lucky duckie. I really am in some ways.

I do pay a couple of bucks per prescription, which is just a fraction of the "cost" of the drugs I take.

My father left me about $70K when he died from his life insurance policy. I've eaten away at that since 2004, usually 500 bucks at a time through checks written by my Mom, who has control of the money. There's about eight grand left.

I'm really grateful that these programs are in place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home