Friday, December 14, 2012

Just For Today

all this dying
all this breathing, in and out, but 28 less
now

so tenuous
is our existance
our tiny little lives
knocked akilter this am

he looks at us and does.....what?

shedding tears is appropriate
for others
but i have none to offer you and them
since i am not a parent
of a beautiful boy or girl (they all)

i only have my righteous anger
to offer the shooter
knowing that
i know i couldn't hurt him or
harm him but
only have
my wish to disarm
take away those firearms
and look into his unblinkingness
calm him
with my love
AND UNDERSTANDING ARMS
placed lightly on his shoulders

"you will do no more killing, my friend"
i would say to him
leading him to the waiting police cruiser

no one would harm the shooter
on my watch
for
he
has
suffered
enough

if not today, this morning
then tomorrow

---------------

joe sweeney
potland, me
12/14/12

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home